Choosing Conservatorium Maastricht means joining a multicultural, open-minded community in a beautiful historical environment. A city and a conservatoire that offer you the chance to experience music through international relationships, with English as the official language of instruction. The Double Bass class at Conservatorium Maastricht is an intense course of study. Its focuses on the development of your talent, geared to the interpretation of the lyrical and symphonic repertoire, with a chamber music approach. In the Double Bass class, the French and German techniques are explored in depth, paying particular attention to the ‘Italian sound’. Concert performances with international high-profile teachers and masterclasses with distinguished, globally renowned musicians make up a significant part of the study programme.
Before you apply
Pre-audition video requirements:
For the pre-audition, the candidate needs to record two video’s that contains:
- Video 1: A short introduction of him/herself in English: talk about your musical experiences, your motivation to study music, your main subject and why you choose to audition at Conservatorium Maastricht.
- Video 2: A recording of the audition programme in one take, in fixed camera position without any editing. The candidate’s face and body should be clearly visible. At the start of the video, the candidate announces his/her Zuyd student number and the programme he or she will perform.
The video’s should be uploaded to an online platform such as YouTube.com or Vimeo.com. It is the candidates responsibility to make sure that the video links work.
Audition requirements for a Bachelor audition
Record three etudes chosen from the following collections:
- I. Billé, IV or V course
- F. Simandl, IX Studi from book II
- C. Montanari, 14 studies
- W. Sturm, 110 studies
- L. Montag, Double Bass method book IV
- G. Gallignani, Studi melodici
- L. Negri, Studi
- Rossi, Studi
- Kreutzer, Studi
Performance of one or more pieces (even single movements), for solo double bass or with piano accompaniment, at the candidate’s choice, for a minimum duration of 15 minutes, taken from the fundamental repertoire of the instrument.
Execution of three-octave scales with their arpeggios at the candidate’s choice, with different bows.