If you choose to study Orchestral Conducting at Conservatorium Maastricht, you will have lessons in a setting with all conducting students present and with two pianists playing the orchestra parts. Observing and analysing each other constructively proves to be very valuable. In this way, more repertoire can be covered.
Focus on symphonic repertoire, as well as opera (recitativo, Aria), rehearsal technique, score marking and analysis, assistant ship during orchestral projects at the conservatoire and in the performing field. We encourage developing projects with fellow students.
Previous students have assisted multiple projects with (professional) orchestras, and are successfully working internationally.
Before you apply
Pre-audition video requirements:
For the pre-audition, the candidate needs to record two video’s that contains:
- Video 1: A short introduction of him/herself in English: talk about your musical experiences, your motivation to study music, your main subject and why you choose to audition at Conservatorium Maastricht.
- Video 2: A recording of the audition programme in one take, in fixed camera position without any editing. The candidate’s face and body should be clearly visible. At the start of the video, the candidate announces his/her Zuyd student number and the programme he or she will perform.
The video’s should be uploaded to an online platform such as YouTube.com or Vimeo.com. It is the candidates responsibility to make sure that the video links work.
Audition requirements for a Master audition
- Brahms symphony no.1 in c minor, first movement intro + exposition, last movement introduction with orchestra / two pianos
- Debussy Prelude a l’apres midi d’un faune with orchestra / two pianos
- A small work to be performed by the student on piano (and / or on main instrument)