Wolfgang graduated at Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln with great distinction, where he studied with Jerry van Rooyen, Peter Herbolzheimer, Bill Motzing, Joachim Ullrich, Francis Coppieters, Frank Chastenier and John Taylor.
At that time he also took an active part in composers workshops with Bob Brookmeyer, Sergiu Celibidache, Bill Dobbins, Clare Fisher, Vinko Globokar, Jim McNeely, Vince Mendoza, Bob Mintzer, Wolfgang Mitterer, Matthias Rüegg and others.
His works include compositions and arrangements for various styles such as jazz, pop, classical and theatrical productions. He has composed and arranged for the WDR Big Band, Metropole Orchestra, German Jazz Orchestra, Musica Viva Chor, RTL Orchestra, RTL TV Station, RWE Orchestra, Schauspielhaus Köln, Singer Pur (ECHO Classic Award), Schwäbisches Jugend-Sinfonie-Orchester, Teatro di Bolzano and others.
Wolfgang develops crossover concepts which interlink music with dance, film and art. His diversity as a composer/arranger, musical director and pianist/keyboardist has taken him to many European countries, Canada and the US.
He was a member of the Innovative Conservatoire (ICON) in Finland and the UK, an international collaboration of conservatoire teachers to stimulate knowledge exchange, innovation and reflective practice in conservatoires.
Wolfgang regularly stage-manages (crossover) music projects created and performed in collaboration with his composition students, such as:
- CAP meets Vocalgroup HotVoc, 2022
- Balcanic Eruptions - CAP Band meets violinist Petra Varallyay, 2022
- CAP Band - Jazz goes Funk, 2021
- Monteverdi Project, 2021
- Eric Vloeimans, 2020
- The Future of Jazz - musical reflection as a teamwork message, 2019
- Layer by layer - CMJE meets film artist Achim Bieler, 2018
- Maastricht-Stuttgart-Graz - Bigband Collaboration, Tour 2017
- CAP meets Dennis Mackrel and the JOC Jazz Orchestra of the Concergebouw Amsterdam, 2017
- CAP meets Ed Partyka and the JOC Jazz Orchestra of the Concergebouw Amsterdam, 2016
- CM Jazz Choir, 2015
- Kristin Korb meets the CMJazzEnsemble, 2015
- Morpheus Dreams CMJE & Strings – Music meets film, with MAD-faculty Genk, 2014
- Conservatorium Maastricht Big Band Project, 2013
- Mistura de Cores - Jazz Choir and Rhythm Section, 2012
- Big Band Balcans - Collaboration with the conservatoires of Tilburg and Ghent, Tour 2011
- Extended Drawings - Music meets visual arts at Bonnefanten Museum Maastricht, 2011
- Impressions Of A Blue Kind - 50 years Kind of Blue - Symphony Orchestra w. Tilburg & Ghent, 2010
- Carnival des Animaux - CMJE, 2009
- FiboScope - CMJE with ABK-Academie Beeldende Kunsten Maastricht, 2009
- Ouverture - CMJE @ WorldFestival Parade Brunssum, 2008
- Gino Vannelli meets the CMJE - live at aldJazz Bilzen, 2007
- French Dressing - CMJazzEnsemble meets the MAD-faculty Genk, 2006