Become the pianist you want to be. The Jazz Piano department is an inspiring environment. As a student pianist here, you will have plenty of individual attention, plus the chance to play extraordinary instruments including Hamburg Steinway Models A and B. You will receive guidance in basic and specific improvisation techniques, acquire extensive knowledge of harmony and how to use it in various musical situations, and gain practical skills. You will learn how to immerse yourself in the history of this music and uncover more jazz secrets you could ever dream of. Apart from your instrumental development, you will learn to play together, improve your band and leadership skills, get the music into your head and mature in listening to each other’s playing. You will be guided by our Jazz Piano team, consisting of permanent piano teachers as well as workshop/guest teachers.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- Videos should have good audio quality, where we can hear your playing very well. You can make separate short videos or one longer one.
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- The video is maximum 10 minutes long
- Perform a blues piece
- Perform two recital pieces from the standard jazz repertoire of the 'Great American Songbook'. The material can be found in the usual Fake- and Real Books.
- Perform a jazz transcription
- Improvise a simple variation
- Classical repertoire, for example; from Mikrokosmos, Vol 2 or 3
What you also need to know:
- Prima Vista: prima vista playing to a satisfactory standard (jazz-specific).
- Scales and chords: major and minor scales up to three sharps and three flats, over a fouroctave range, including broken triads.
In case that your material is selected you will get an invitation for an online theory test and if necessary, an online meeting with the main subject teachers.