Become a first-class brass player in the vibrant Euregional city of Maastricht. The three brass teachers at the Jazz Department will train you to become a skilled section player and soloist in a jazz combo setting, big band, trombone ensemble (Jazz & Classical), World Music or contemporary ensemble, by exposing you to a broad musical palette and providing you with the tools to develop your own musical path. Apart from developing solid instrument-specific skills, you will receive practical and theoretical training in improvisation, as this is indispensable in expressing your musical story.
In the Bachelor’s programme, you will focus on: Developing solid instrumental skills, functioning proficiently in various ensembles, and developing basic compositional and arranging skills.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- Videos should have good audio quality, where we can hear your playing very well. You can make separate short videos or one longer one.
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- The video is maximum 10 minutes long
- Perform a blues piece
- Perform a jazz standard (level “Autumn leaves”)
- Etudes: ability to perform a technical etude (level: R.Muller, Technische Übungen, book 1) and a melodic etude (level: J.Rochut, Melodious études for trombone, book 1)
You also need to know (not to include in the video).
- Scales and chords: all major and minor scales, covering the entire range of the instrument and corresponding three-fold and four-fold chords.
- Prima Vista: prima vista playing to a satisfactory standard (jazz-specific).
In case that your material is selected you will get an invitation for an online theory test and if necessary, an online meeting with the main subject teachers.