The 2-year Master’s degree programme in Jazz Piano is all about inquisitiveness, autonomy and performing. Apart from strengthening your musical tools and skills, we will coach you to keep your individuality in mind. This will help you to follow the path towards your true sound, not someone else’s. Envision playing the piano the way YOU want to play it. With tasteful perception and practice, your own quirky imperfections will help define your musical voice. It’s your story! In addition to your personal teacher/coach you also have the option of visiting external teachers.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- Then show yourself, playing the piano for (at least) 10 minutes
- Include your recording of Reaching for You or Complex Simplicity (these songs are attached to this document; see next pages, and chose one!)
- Include at least 2 advanced jazz standards, that allow you to show:
- Complicated harmonic structure
- Extreme tempos; (very) fast, slow
- Movement between multiple key centres
- Your deep understanding of harmony to comp and solo
- Indication of advanced jazz standards, that can be used:
- Time Remembered
- In Your Own Sweet Way
- Along Came Betty
- Central Park West
- Con Alma
- Joy Spring
- Midnight Silence
- Prelude to a Kiss
- J. Coltrane / H. Silver / W. Shorter / B. Evans tunes are high quality jazz standards in general
If you have a video of your Bachelor Final Exam, please share that with us as well as an additional video link.
Depending on your level, you will be invited for an online meeting with the teachers for an online “live” audition.
For the “live” audition, you should be able to play a representative short set (3 pieces), we highly recommend that you do this with your own band! And be ready to do interactive exercises together with the main subject teachers, as well as individual ones, including sight reading, comping and improvising.
The “live” audition should take approximately 20 – 45 minutes.
Finally, after passing the live audition, you will be invited for an interview with the jazz master coordinator to discuss your study and research plans.
The master interview should take approximately 45 – 60 minutes.