Over the course of the 4-year Bachelor’s programme, we will systematically guide you in acquiring basic improvisation skills, learning how to accompany others, refining your technique on the instrument and developing your sound and approach to jazz. Arpeggios, scales, rhythm, timing, voicings, picking techniques, sight-reading and building a repertoire are among the skills that you will work on intensively in the first three years and that are tested every year in a technique exam which, together with the artistic exam, forms the end-of-year exam in year 1, 2 and 3. In year 4 you will work towards your graduation concert and, apart from refining the content of the first three years, you will focus more on developing your own musical vision and finding your approach to music, a process that is already intensified in year 3. Writing your own music and arrangements and leading your own band are essential elements, in which you will be guided by our Guitar team, consisting of permanent main-subject teachers as well as guest teachers.
Before you apply
Share your un-edited video recording links in the portfolio. Videos should be uploaded to your YouTube channel ( if you don’t have one, make one). Set your videos to ‘unlisted’ so only you and we can see them. IMPORTANT: DO NOT send the actual video(s): ONLY LINKS to the video(s)
- Videos should have good audio quality, where we can hear your playing very well. You can make separate short videos or one longer one.
- The candidate presents him/herself in English at the start of the video
- The video is maximum 10 minutes long
- 3 Standards from the 'Great American Songbook' with a rhythm section (bass & drums) or with backing tracks.
- The material can be found in the usual Fake- and Real Books.
- Compositions could also be Originals/ Jazz-classics from iconic Jazz musicians like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis etc...
- He/she should play the melody and improvise on the form as well as comp for an imaginary soloist.
- The video's sound quality should be decent and all the instruments should be audible in a reasonable sound quality.
- The visual quality should be on the same level and the applicant should be very clearly visible all the time, without hiding behind a music stand or other band members. We require a front view of the candidate and want to see the whole player, including his hands and face!
- The duration of the video should be 10-15 minutes. Also a short introduction by the applicant should be added, in which he also talks about his musical background and interests.
In case that your material is selected you will get an invitation for an online theory test and if necessary, an online meeting with the main subject teachers.